New Beginnings North Sober Living Home
New Beginnings North Program Rules
1. No drugs or alcohol or fighting. Any knowledge or suspicion of same must be immediately communicated to the Manager and Owner.
2. Must attend the one mandatory House Business Meeting per week, the two in-house weekly 12 Step Meetings and donate one hour per week of service time to the House, which will accrue.
3. Must attend one meeting per day for first 90 days accompanied by a fellow Resident of the House. After the ninety in ninety, you will be expected to regularly attend your meetings with a minimum of five meetings a week, with no maximum. After six months, you will attend a minimum of three meetings per week. Upon arrival at a meeting you shall text to Owner the meeting name & time along with the name of the Resident with whom you went. For the first 90 days, you agree to complete the weekly planner on a daily basis and you are required to submit it each week at the House Business Meeting.
4. We require you to have a sponsor within one week of living here and maintain regular communication with said Sponsor. Minimum requirements for your selected sponsor is five years of sobriety and a minimum of two years prior experience sponsoring people. You must provide to the Owner, Patrice Coine, the name and phone number of your Sponsor as soon as one is obtained or any time you change Sponsors. We require any Sponsor you choose to be willing to give a lead at a House Meeting, speak with you daily and meet with you weekly.
5. Curfew is 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 12:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. Everyone must return to their floor of residence by curfew. Lights out one hour after curfew. Overnights outside of the house must be approved by Owner or Manager and are prohibited for the first 90 days unless permission is granted at your intake or in the event of an unforeseeable, unexpected life event.
6. Visitors are subject to Manager approval and visitation is limited to Monday through Saturday from 2:00 p.m. until dusk. Visitors are limited to a maximum of two people for a maximum period of two hours. Visitation must take place in common areas only.
7. No lending or borrowing of money. Taking any item from the house not belonging to you without the permission of the item's owner is prohibited and will result in you being barred FOREVER from the program. Even if it is a banana. We have a strict and absolute zero tolerance for theft.
8. You agree that your room and personal belongings may be inspected and rearranged at any time by Owner or Management. You are required to be out of bed by 9:00 a.m. each day with your room ready to show and your daily chore completed by 10:00 a.m.
9. You agree that you are solely responsible for any money or property belonging to you and you assume sole responsibility for the loss or damage of any property belonging to you. Before you will be allowed to bring any personal prescribed medications into the house, you must submit a list of all medications with prescribed dosages to Owner or Manager. Please have this list prepared to tender upon arrival to the house. You must have a combination lockbox in which all medications must be kept at all times. Some medications may be required to be secured by management. Any change in medication or dosages must be immediately reported to Owner or Manager on the day said changes are made. All lockboxes may be inspected by Owner or Manager at any time.
10. You must do your chores as directed and as set forth in the Chore Description. You also agree to immediately clean any dishware you have used as well as clean any mess on the counters, stove, table, etc., in able to afford the next resident an opportunity to prepare and enjoy his meal. You agree to rinse and put all dishware you use in the dishwasher immediately after using them. After using the bathroom, you will make sure that the facility is clean for the next resident. Everyone must squeegee the shower walls when finished showering and wipe the counters dry after using the sink. Absolutely no open food or open drinks are allowed in the bedrooms or common areas other than water. All meals will be eaten at the dining table. You agree to maintain all rooms in the house, including bedrooms, in “show condition“ from 10:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. All chores are to be completed by 10:00 a.m. The once weekly chore duty is to be done no earlier than Friday for inspection at the regularly scheduled weekly House Business meeting.
11. No resident is allowed in a bedroom not belonging to that resident without the permission of one of the bedroom’s residents and there shall be no sexual contact between residents or between residents and any guest. No one is allowed on a floor other than their own unless accompanied by someone from that floor.
12. House phones are to be left on the base(s) at all times when not in use and you agree that your cell phone and the House phone shall be answered with all due effort and speed each time the Owner or Manager is calling. If you shut off your cell phone for purposes of a meeting or other engagement, you agree that all calls incoming from Owner or Manager shall merit top priority to any other call received, and shall be immediately responded to upon discovery. In no event shall a call from Owner or Manager not be returned within two hours of placement, unless the message indicates there is no need to return it.
13. Lights and other electrical items must be turned off by a Resident when he leaves the room in which Resident was using same. However, the house computer is to remain on at all times. The house computer is to be used only by Residents who do not own a functioning laptop and solely for the purpose of finding work or other necessary business. No one is to attempt to repair or alter any aspect of the House or Building or its premises or the House Computer unless authorized specifically by Owner or her Manager and then only to their specification. Further, no food or drink is allowed near the House Computer.
14. All smoking (including vaping, e-cigarettes, etc.) is done outside the unit on the rear deck. No more than five people may be on a back porch at any time. Everyone is to keep their voices down when outside. Cigarettes are extinguished only in the sand filled cans. All cans are emptied regularly long before they become full.
15. Quiet times in the house are from 9:00 p.m. until 9:00 a.m. All functions performed during these hours are to be done with the utmost concern for quiet, no matter what the function may be.
16. Within 7 days of arrival, all Residents shall volunteer a minimum of 25 hours a week, or whatever other hours Owner or Manager directs, at a volunteer position of their choice and approved by Owner. This Rule does not apply if you are seeking work full-time, working more than 30 hours a week
or attending full-time vocational training or college or are not working due to injury or illness sufficiently disabling as determined by Owner or Manager. Anyone seeking employment must be out looking for work from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. five days a week and must keep a written job diary setting forth the name, contact name and phone of each place to which application is made.
17. You are not a tenant and have no right to possession of the premises located at 809 W. Lawrence Ave, Chicago, IL. Your only right to remain in the sober living home is by consent of the Owner or her Manager. You also agree that you and all who are on or in the premises arising out of any relationship with you, will hold New Beginnings North, its Owner and her agents, harmless for any injury of any nature or kind suffered by you or by your invitee or other person in or on the premises arising out of some relation to you, while in or on the premises located at 809 W. Lawrence Ave, Chicago, IL.
18. You are not allowed anything in the house or its premises other than your personal clothes and effects and food. Any exceptions will require a written description of said item, with sufficient identifying information, sent to Owner via email for her written approval. Further, all of Owner’s furnishings and decorative possessions will remain in the place they have been placed at all times, unless by direction of the Owner otherwise. All unauthorized material found within New Beginnings North or the premises of the building at 809 W. Lawrence Ave. Chicago, IL, shall be subject to immediate disposal at any time and without notice. DO NOT ATTACH ANYTHING TO THE WALLS OR OTHER SURFACES INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE BUILDING
19. You must sign in and out each time you leave or return to the house and indicate where you are going.
20. No one is allowed to put their feet onto any upholstered furniture and a t-shirt with sleeves and shorts, at a minimum, shall be worn at all times while in or on the premises of the House.
21. You agree to be randomly drug and/or alcohol tested at any time. Any overnights you request requires you to pay a $10 fee for your drug test upon return.
22. There are no refunds of any program fees or costs once paid.
23. You agree to a background check and hereby state that you have no felony warrants or sex offender charges or convictions. You further agree to sign an Authorization for Release of Medical Records/Information at your intake into the House which shall be in full force and effect until you permanently move from the House. Said Authorization shall remain in effect while you are a resident of New Beginnings North and for any period of time you are temporarily gone from New Beginnings North.
24. Payment of the program fee of $750 per month is paid on the 1st of the month by 12:00 p.m. Failure to timely pay the program fee shall incur a late fee of $10 for each day it remains unpaid unless a different arrangement has been made in writing.
25. You agree the Program Rules may change from time to time and you hereby agree to abide by the rules in effect as well as future ones that may be added or changed or posted within the house or any communicated to you personally as New Beginnings North is established as a group home with rules required of each Resident to abide by for the benefit of each other Resident, the Owner and the House.
26. VIOLATION OF ANY RULE OF THE PROGRAM CAN RESULT IN YOU BEING REQUIRED BY OWNER or MANAGER TO IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THE HOUSE. When you leave the house, all of your possessions must be immediately removed or they will be disposed of within 24 hours. If you contact us within 24 hours of your leaving, we will give you an additional 48 hours to make arrangements for pickup of your possessions.
WHAT TO BRING WHEN YOU MOVE IN:
1-2 weeks of clothing, a towel and personal toiletries, a combination lockbox and one week of groceries.
Community items, i.e., paper towels, toilet tissue, shared condiments, etc. are designated by the Resident Floor Manager and paid for by a weekly contribution from each member of that floor.
(Usually does not exceed $3-$5 contribution)
METHODS OF PAYMENT:
We accept money orders and also bank transfers. Bank transfers are done by:
1. Going to one's online banking
2. Selecting "Transfer"
3. Inputting the email, email@example.com, for the email of Owner, Patrice Coine, (the party to whom money is being sent)
4. Inputting the dollar amount you wish to send.
5. Select "send" or otherwise complete the transaction.
Note: Bank transfers take 3-5 days to reach our account. If you wish to pay the program fees by online transfer, please schedule same for 3-5 business days before the 1st of any month so that the late fees of NBN are not incurred.
By submitting an application, I acknowledge I understand and agree to be bound by the New Beginnings North Program and House Rules and shall abide by any additional rules Owner or Manager adds to this website or posts in the House or personally communicates to me as if they were set forth herein.